You don’t need a key fob or key card for your Tesla. It’s possible to lock/unlock the doors via the Tesla app.
- Download the Tesla app on your phone (for iPhone or Android).
- Log into the mobile app using your Tesla account username and password.
- Connect your phone with the car via Bluetooth (more info).
- Enable mobile access under Controls > Safety & Security > Allow Mobile Access.
- In the mobile app, touch phone key then touch start to search for your car. When your car is detected, the
mobile app asks you to tap your key card.
- Tap the key card against the card reader on the door pillar or center console.
Here are some tips if you want to use the phone lock/unlock feature on your Tesla:
- Bring a key fob or key card in case your phone dies
- Make sure you lock your phone with a PIN, fingerprint or Face ID.
- The Tesla Model 3 can connect to 3 phones simultaneously. Therefore, if more than one phone is detected and you want to use, move the other connected phone(s) out of range or turn off its Bluetooth setting